Monday, August 5, 2013

The little things

As I near the end of my time here in Germany, I've come to realize that, although I've enjoyed exploring Wiesbaden and meeting its many wonderful people, some of my nicest times have been spent alone here in Glen and Betina's apartment with Charlotte.

This little pup and I have grown a lot together over the past two weeks or so. She responds to me so well, and I've learned to recognize her wants and needs also.

Some of this has been intentional, as we've come to know each other as dog and master. But much of it has simply come about as we've become friends.

Particularly on these unusually hot and muggy afternoons, we've found we've just enjoyed being with each other. Sitting on the couch together or playing a game of fetch or tug.

In fact, we've become so close that she rarely lets me out of her sight!

If I step out of the room to get a drink or get something in another room, she's right at my heels or waiting in the doorway for me.
In fact, even as I write this blog, she's right at my feet, gnawing on a bone. And, when I got up to refill my coffee cup, she followed me to the kitchen and back.

I'll miss her a bit when I'm gone -- but I hope that I'm handing her back to Glen and Betina an even better dog than they left behind. And it will be my great joy to know that they are going to continue to grow as a family together.

This has been a very long and interesting adventure. The longest I've been separated from my family in over 30 years!

But Wednesday Betina returns and Thursday I will be on my way home. That means I've only one more full day with Charlotte after today.

No comments:

Post a Comment