Friday, August 2, 2013

The heat is on ... again

With temperatures back in the 90s here again, Charlotte and I are opting not to go down to the neighborhood park during the daytime -- a park that boasts one tree, lots of dried grass and countless cigarette butts.

Rather, we head back into the hilly neighborhoods along Kappellenstrasse and Dambachtal, shadier streets line with big, gnarly trees, thick green grass, a very shady spielplatz (playground) where, unfortunately, dogs are not allowed, and lots of luxurious homes and apartments.

There are also many wonderful, fresh, new smells for her to discover.

And an occasional local who comes out to say hello.

Most of the time we can stay in the shade for nearly the entire walk.

That doesn't necessarily mean we're necessarily cool and comfortable though.

With the humidity a muggy 60% and the sun beating down from the cloudless sky, even a shady park can feel uncomfortably stuffy. But at least it's a break from the narrow asphalt streets and sidewalks that radiate heat like a pizza oven.

Meantime, though, I'm very proud of the rapport Charlotte and I have developed.

Even when she's totally distracted by a smell or another dog, I can win her attention with a quick whistle or the snap of my fingers and she comes running to catch up with me!

We've really become very close this past week.

And, even when I'm grabbing a shower, she's usually found napping no than three feet away.

1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely envious ... I want to spend more than a couple days in Germany so I can experience the atmosphere just as you did. And I love your photos! Diane gave me this site, thinking I'd be interested ... she was right! ☺

    ReplyDelete